Here you will learn 12 English love idioms: the love of my life, love is blind, head over heels, a love/hate relationship, to have a crush on someone and more.
12 English Love Idioms and Phrases
Help other students to improve English skills
The majority of people believe that French, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese are the most romantic languages in the world. This might be true. However, there are many English love idioms and phrases that you could use. If you want to impress someone (particularly if your partner is a native English speaker), try using one or two of them in your conversation.
1. THE LOVE OF MY LIFE – the most important person in your life the person you really love at a particular time
ex. It was obvious that Ann was the love of his life.
2. LOVE IS IN THE AIR – you can almost reach out and feel the love, when shops are decorated with signs of love (hearts/ flowers etc)
ex. In early February of every year, love is in the air.
3. LOVE IS BLIND – when a person or persons are deeply in love they do not see some obvious weaknesses or negatives about their partner, love is blind
ex. I don’t understand why she likes him so much? He is so selfish and doesn’t treat her well. Well, love is really blind.
4. ALL IS FAIR IN LOVE AND WAR – whether we are dealing with matters of the heart or to do with politics or war everything we do is acceptable in matters of such importance
ex. He refused to give me my seat, stating that he was there first and that all was fair in love and war.
5. A FACE ONLY A MOTHER COULD LOVE – usually used as a joke to describe someone who is not very attractive
ex. Although, he had a face that only a mother could love, and he snorted and snored, Penny adored him.
6. A LOVE/HATE RELATIONSHIP – one person has very strong positive feelings for another person and the other person feels exactly the opposite
ex. They had a love/hate relationship for 5 years. However, deep down they really did care about each other.
7. LOVE MAKES THE WORLD GO ROUND – with out love where would we be… love helps us get through life’s little problems, love helps everybody and everything
ex. Love is the principal force behind human life. Love makes the world go round.
8. HEAD OVER HEELS IN LOVE – when someone falls deeply in love with another person, as if they actually fell over they were so much in love
ex. Peter met this French girl on a study trip and fell head over heels in love with her.
9. ABSENCE MAKES THE HEART GROW FONDER – when we do not see a person we love for some time (weeks or months) we grow more fond of them during that absence… a sign that we really missed their presence in our life
ex. People think sceptically of long-distance relationships but absence does make the heart grow fonder.
10. TO FIND MR OR MRS RIGHT – to find the person best suited to us the person we have been waiting for
ex. Jim is not married. He is always in search for his Mrs. Right wherever he goes.
11. LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT – to fall in love with someone at the first meeting with them or when we see that person for the first time
ex. He saw that girl and he couldn’t take his eyes off her, it was love at first sight.
12. TO HAVE A CRUSH ON SOMEONE – to find someone attractive and think about this person all the time, usually describes teenage infatuation.
ex. He had a crush on her for years but she didn’t pay much attention to him.