Learn how to agree and disagree in English with these simple examples.
There are several ways you can agree and disagree in English.In every language we need to know how to express your opinion. Not being able to say what you mean is no fun.
Scroll down and watch a video lesson on Ways of Giving Your Opinion in English.
How to Agree and Disagree in English
Share and help other students to improve English skills
How to Agree In English
If you agree with someone else you could say:
- Yes, I think so too.
- I agree with you.
- That’s a great idea.
- Fair enough!
- That’s true
- I feel/think the same
- You are absolutely right
22 Ways of agreeing with someone in English
How to Disagree in English
However if you disagree, or have a different point of view, then you might say:
- No, I don’t agree with that.
- That’s not right.
- I see things differently.
- I’m afraid, I can’t agree with you
- That’s a good point but…
- I don’t think so
- I doubt it
Intermediate to Advanced English Marathon
Different ways to express an opinion in English
If you want to express your opinion in English, you can start with:
- I think…
- I suppose…
- From my point of view
- It seems to me that…
- Personally, I think that…
- In my opinion
- I believe…
How to Give Your Opinion in English - Video Lesson
In this video lesson you learn more phrases on how to express your opinion in English:
Finding Things in Common in English
- I am a bit nervous.
- So am I.
- Oh, I am not.
- I can’t speak French.
- Neither can I.
- Oh, I can.
- I have a cat.
- So have I.
- Oh, I haven’t. I have a dog.
- I don’t go out much.
- Neither do I.
- Oh, I do.
- I had a great time.
- So did I.
- Oh, I didn’t.
- I am vegetarian.
- So am I.
- Oh, I am not.
- I love travelling.
- So do I.
- Oh, I don’t.
Different Ways to Agree and Disagree in English - Infographic
How to Agree and Disagree in English - Examples
1. Four friends are discussing who should do the housework.
MARTINA: I think men and women should share jobs around the house, such as cleaning.
SARAH: Yes, so do I.
DAVE: I agree with that.
CLARE: That’s a great idea.
2. Sam and his friends are talking about the cost of fuel.
SAM: I’d like to see the government raise taxes on petrol.
JEFF: No, that’s not a good idea.
PETE: I don’t agree with that at all.
3. Tina has been watching a TV programme about benefit cheats*.
TINA: I think people on benefits should be made to work for free.
GRACE: So do I. That’s a really good idea.
PAT: I think so too.
ROBIN: No, I don’t agree with that idea at all.
4. Tom wants your vote in the next election. Here are some ideas from his speech.
– I believe speed limits on motorways should be increased to 80 miles an hour.
– I believe rubbish bins should be emptied every week, not every 2 weeks.
– In my opinion schools should provide all children with a healthy lunch every day.
It’s your turn now! Check if you can agree and disagree in English now. Have a go at agreeing or disagreeing with Tom on each of these topics?