Here you will learn how to negotiate price in English.
Have you ever tried to negotiate a better price for something you are buying or try to get the price lowered to suit your budget. I hope the following will give you some idea of how to negotiate price in English and the phrases and words that you can use in such a situation.
When buying anything, unless of course you are very wealthy, price matters a lot. You may have a fixed budget or you may be operating on a tight budget so you may need to negotiate a better price that fits your particular budget.
How to Negotiate Price in English - Useful Expressions
Enjoyed this infographic? Here's what you can do next:
You perhaps have been saving for quite some time to buy your first car or change it for a better model or buy the replacement device such as a new mobile phone, laptop or other gadget. You should of course shop around. Check if anyone is offering a good discount or selling a particular model at a reduced price to clear their stock or make room for a new model that has been released recently.
Once you have identified the model you want and the best location you can then approach the salesman or sales assistant. You should have in mind the ideal price you would like to pay and an idea how much you are willing to go above that price in order to get it (be successful).
You may be lucky and the shop or showroom are offering a bargain but in most situations you need to be prepared to negotiate.
How to Negotiate Price in English
- I am on a tight budget so I am looking for your best price
- I don’t have a lot of wriggle room = I cannot increase my budget too much
- What’s the best price/what’s your best price?
- How far can you come down in price to meet me? (what can he take off the price to get closer to your budget)?
- Let me run the numbers and get back to you (I need to calculate if I can offer you any further
Remember that cash is king – cash is the most important asset to have. Most of the times not using your credit card or a loan mayy get you a bigger discount.
- What will your cash price be?
- How much will you reduce the asking price if I pay cash?
- What’s your final offer?
- Let’s meet in the middle. (to compromise)
- Ok let’s shake on it (seal the bargain with a handshake)
- A man of your word (agree to buy it and your word is your bond)
Vocabulary to Help you negotiate Price in English
fixed budget – a maximum amount you can afford to pay
tight budget – very little flexibility in what you can afford to pay
particular budget – meets your estimate of what you are willing to pay
to shop around – to look at many places
discount – reduced price
to have in mind – to think about
how much you are willing to go – how much more will you spend, how much more will you offer above the asking price
showroom – a place where goods are displayed